The Bells of Mission Santa Inez

The Bells of Mission Santa Inez
The bells of Mission Santa Inez, Solvang, California

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

To Barbie or Not to Barbie




When my daughter came home from her first day at kindergarten a few weeks ago I was eager to hear the details of her day. I expected her to tell me that she played with the pretend kitchen or with baby dolls, the way I did during play time. I was a little disconcerted when she said, "We played with Barbies! We dressed them up sassy." I have never heard my child use the word "sassy," and I certainly didn't expect her to play with Barbies at her Catholic school. Where is the educational value in that? This made me think of my own attitude toward Barbie and how differently I've come to view the doll, and especially her wardrobe, since I've had daughters.

I loved my Barbies as a kid. Before I had children, I never gave much thought to the bigger influence Barbie has on little girls. It wasn't until Elizabeth and Megan received a couple of Barbies for Christmas that I realized how dangerous having this doll in my house could be. Left to her own devices, Barbie dresses like a tramp. I noticed when I cleaned up the girls' room that if the dolls weren't laying in a naked, peach-colored tangle they were dressed as if they were headed out for a night of clubbing. Clearly, Barbie wasn't helping my efforts to teach my daughters modesty. I decided that taking the dolls away wasn't the answer. There had to be a way that my girls could enjoy their Barbie dolls the way I did, while avoiding the subliminal message that a girl is only pretty if she's wearing a halter mini-dress and platform sandals.

I'm not a seamstress, so making clothes wasn't an option. Thankfully, there are like-minded women out there who sew and utilize the Internet for marketing their talents. Barbee and Friends saved the day! This site has a lot of lovely modest doll outfits, suitable for taking Barbie to church or to the ball. I'll be ordering some modest outfits for the Barbies in my daughter's class. If we can't have the Barbies replaced by more appropriate toys, then maybe we can change her wardrobe to reflect the way a girl in a Catholic school should dress. Elizabeth's teacher seems sweet and committed to teaching Catholic values. She's young, though, and not a mother. She probably just hasn't taken a good look at Barbie's closet.

Many Catholic families choose not to allow their children to play with Barbie dolls at all, and that is understandable. We've chosen to let Barbie stay--as long as she stays covered up.

No comments:

Post a Comment