The Bells of Mission Santa Inez

The Bells of Mission Santa Inez
The bells of Mission Santa Inez, Solvang, California

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Request For Prayer

I received some news recently that has consumed me and caused me to neglect the simple, cathartic pleasure of posting in my poor, newborn blog. One of my dearest friends has a brain tumor.

This woman and I have been in each other's lives since I was ten years old. She is the sort of person with whom I have very little in common with as an adult, and if the truth be told we may never have become friends if our relationship didn't start so long ago when we were both just forging our personalities. What we have is the shared experience of surviving childhood in dysfunctional families and navigating our broke twenties. She was there for me the long years I spent in a useless relationship. I was there for her when the father of her son died. We have fought and made up a million times and when I recently asked her why she puts up with me she said, "Because it's meant to be."

I'm going home to California tomorrow morning to be with her. All of our friends who have stood the test of time--a small, but irreplacable group--is converging on our sorry hometown of Stockton, California. We're coming from New Jersey, Reno, Idaho. We're going to hang out, tell stories, laugh that tumor into submission. And when that's over and I'm alone with no one watching but my heavenly Father, I'm going to pray.

Faith really comes in handy during times like these.

Tiff

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying. I lost an old friend unexpectedly recently, I wish I'd been able to spend time with her one more time before she passed.

    ReplyDelete